Sunday, 17 June 2012

SOAR Music Night, amazing kids and a revelation.

Do you ever have one of these moments in life, where you realise how shallow you can be? Tonight was one of those times, when I was at SOAR, which my brother attends. They’re a local group for older teenagers and adults with disabilities. Tonight was a music themed night, so I took my saxophone, a keyboard, two guitars, an accordion, two drums (actually my brother’s) and the Singstar game for the PS2 where we have 16 different versions. I played my saxophone to them, I thought it was pretty bad, but just to see the smiles of many of the kids there was amazing to see. These disadvantaged kids probably have never seen a saxophone before, one of them saw all the instruments and want to try out every single one of them. Well the hug I got afterwards from him was adorable. The only annoying thing was that the PS2 console didn’t work, the poor guys were so disappointed and confused when I tried to explain. Dunno if you can get new PS2’s anymore, it’s a shame. When people have asked me what I want to do as a career, I’ve always said to help people with disabilities through music, and tonight has made me want to do it even more. And it has made me realise how lucky I am to have these instruments, to have tuition, to have played at bands and at summer schools compared to these people who are bullied just for being themselves or so dependant on their parents or carers, they’ll never leave home. I’m happy I made them smile tonight, especially through music and I hope to make more people smile in the future. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment