Sunday, 17 June 2012

How I got into music, get ready as this will probably be one hell of a lengthly post.

Basically, I have my mum to thank for this. She played the hell out of Bon Jovi and 80’s music since I was a foetus. I grew up listening to all the many genres of the 80’s, even though neither of my parents are musical themselves. I was then told in the primary I had good timing in music and apparently a good musical ear so I was recommended to start woodwind and piano lessons. I’ll talk about piano first, why not. My first piano teacher was adorable, we still talk to this day. She was like a musical auntie, I mean after every lesson, she gave me a hug and a big smile, we were good friends as well as teacher and student. She got me to pass my Grade 5 in emmmm….. 4th year I think. She soon decided not to take any more pupils after Grade 5 so I was heartbroken when I found out I had to get a new teacher. My piano teacher, who I think is great now, at first I was unsure of her. I guess I was so used to the comfort of a easy lesson that when I went to my new teacher, I thought she was really strict. We hardly talked at first, I was a bit upset at first. But then I decided to grow up for once in my life, and found out she’s actually a great person. Even now, as she’s playing the piano accompaniment for my saxophone exam and I’ve had to postpone me sitting my Grade 7 piano exam I don’t know how many times, but she’s always been helpful to me. I think I’ve improved as a more advanced musician now thanks to her. Right now, saxophone. Well at first, it was the recorder for around 5 years. To be honest, it was at first an excuse to skive maths in the primary. I shared lessons with one of my close friends at the time. She then moved on to the clarinet at P7 which made me want to change. I tried the clarinet, couldn’t get a note out of it. Then I tried a flute, managed to play a B and that was it. After growing up listening to 80’s music, I had always dreamed of playing the saxophone, the way it looked and sounded always mesmerized me. The tutor was a bit of a dick though and said I will never have the puff to play another instrument other than the recorder. So I ended up wasting three more years on this piece of crap, playing the same tunes, listening to the same long rants and was basically in a rut. Until one day at the start of 3rd year, he finally decided to bring in a saxophone for me to try. I still remember to this day, the first time I opened a saxophone case and stared at this golden masterpiece, I literally had goosebumps. Little did I know, that this thing was going to change my life so much for the better. My lesson was spent just trying to get notes out of it but I enjoyed it so much I spent my Standard Grade Music lesson sitting outside trying to blow more notes out of the thing. I possibly annoyed the teachers but I didn’t give a shit. I had a saxophone and they didn’t so there. That first saxophone was a council owned one so I was able to get my own saxophone for my birthday which was ironically the same day I sat my Grade 4 piano exam. But I got a distinction so it was all good. Anyway, I’ve had the saxophone since then, my beautiful Parker and it’s been quite a journey. Then I was so lucky to get a tenor saxophone a year later for Christmas. That was when I started going to the music groups and found out that after all that dick of a tutor said, I did have the puff to play a saxophone, two even, Parker and Dixie (tenor). Just shows you can achieve whatever you set your heart to. Now I have a much better tutor for the saxophone, as I’m sitting Grade 7 in two weeks (eeep.) I’ve improved so much in two years since he replaced the arsehole of the old tutor. I’ve made so many new friends through the groups, the NYJOS Summer School and so many other musical groups and I’m eternally grateful to the certain people who have believed in me. As in the song Still Burnin’ by Queen & Paul Rodgers says - “Music lights this flame in me, I won’t let it go and it won’t let me be. Music makes the world go round, I’ve been flyin’ on the wings of the sound, it feels so good from way up here, i’m still a believer, headin’ for the stars.” :P

No comments:

Post a Comment